The land here was formerly part of Coliforthill farm, sold by Douglas of Cavers to the Haddon family in 1896. Colislinn was built that same year in a mock-baronial style, to a design by prolific local architect James Pearson Alison. The peculiar name derives from a nearby waterfall.
Erected as a family retreat for solicitor Walter Haddon, his initials are carved in stone above the front door, as well as those of his wife, Caroline Ross. Some of their descendants still live in the Slitrig Valley. It was later owned by the Young family, whose son Walter became a doctor after WWII and felt that Colislinn was too far out of Hawick for his patients. He sold the property and moved into the town.
Since then only three other families have owned the house, staying roughly 20 years each. The Encombe and Wilson families have owned Colislinn since 1994 and operate it as a self-catering holiday home.